The windshield is considered one of the most expensive replacements in auto glass. It often comes into contact with debris and other harsh exterior environments. For the safety of the driver and passengers, it’s crucial to keep windshield damage risk minimal. Among most of the damage types, cracked windshields are the major problem that get fixed in windshield repair in Sapulpa. In fact, 70-80% of windshield replacements are caused by edge cracks.
So, in this blog, we’re going to find some major reasons why the windshield gets damaged and how you can avoid them to improve its life.
Human inefficiency during the annealing process in manufacturing facilities or repair shops is the main cause of this. A study found that 30% of insurance-covered replacement claims for auto glass are caused by residual stresses, which also cause the majority of edge cracks. During the annealing process, sometimes gaps are not properly filled because of the misplacement, resulting in a higher rate of vibration and causing damage. Not just does it load on your pocket, but it also risks the lives of passengers as it can suddenly break out during a ride. If you’re looking to connect with an expert for windshield repair in Sapulpa, connect with us.
Changing Weather Temperatures:
Temperature change in the environment is another reason for the windshield’s integrity and structure. In locations like Sapulpa, Oklahoma, temperatures can go as low as -8.9°C and as high as +39.4°C, showing high variation in temperatures throughout the year. While the temperature is high, the auto glass in the windshield expands and drinks when the temperature decreases. This weakens the structure and strength of glass and results in damage. In other cases, people use a defroster to remove snow from the windshield, which can instantly cause a crack on the auto glass.
Debris and Rocks:
While at normal speed and in the usual environment, it’s not a major problem. Manmade conditions like road construction, high speed driving, and different natural conditions such as thunderstorms and heavy rain are some reasons for this. Debris are small pieces of natural materials such as small stones, broken pieces of materials, etc. These debris often float freely in the environment, and hitting at a high speed on the windshield can cause scratches and chips on the glass.
Low Quality Glass:
Windshields are usually made of tempered glass, and compromising the quality of the glass can lower its average life. It usually takes 7-10 years to replace an OEM windshield if you can rescue damage risks. OEM windshields directly come from the official manufacturer of the vehicle and cost a bit more than other options. Many people, to save a few dollars on replacement, choose aftermarket glasses. Aftermarket windshields are in the same dimension and fit in the vehicle but are thinner than the original ones.
While these do not happen often, they contribute significantly to windshield damage. In fact, vehicle collisions directly with birds are the top 5 reasons for bird mortality in the USA. In addition, over 10 million animals are struck by moving vehicles on the road each year. So depending on the intensity of the accidents, it causes chips and cramps on the windshield. In severe cases, accidents can break and scatter auto glasses in the car.
How to Avoid These to Protect Windshields:
To avoid windshield damage and ensure the longevity of your auto glass, consider the following preventive measures:
- Choose Professional Installation: Opt for reputable auto glass professionals or certified repair shops for windshield repair in Sapulpa or replacement. Ensure that technicians follow proper procedures during the annealing process to reduce the risk of residual stresses leading to edge cracks.
- Be Mindful of Temperature Changes: Try to park your vehicle in shaded areas during extreme temperatures, especially in locations with significant temperature variations. Avoid sudden temperature changes, and if possible, gradually adjust the internal climate to minimize stress on the windshield.
- Drive Cautiously in Debris-Prone Areas: Exercise caution in areas where debris and rocks are more likely to be present, such as construction zones or during severe weather conditions. Maintain a safe following distance, especially when driving at high speeds, to reduce the likelihood of debris causing scratches or chips on the windshield.
- Invest in Quality Windshields: When replacing a windshield, consider using Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) glass. While they may be slightly more expensive, OEM windshields are designed to meet the manufacturer’s specifications, ensuring higher quality and longevity. Avoid compromising on glass quality to save money.
- Practice Safe Driving Habits: Reduce the risk of road accidents by practicing safe driving habits. Be aware of your surroundings, maintain a safe distance from other vehicles, and avoid speeding. Additionally, be cautious of wildlife on the roads, especially in areas prone to animal crossings, to minimize the risk of collisions that could damage the windshield.
Windshields contribute up to 60% of structural stability during rollover and 45% during front-end collisions. By avoiding the tips and guidelines mentioned, you can avoid most of the severe driving factors and reduce the risk of windshield cracks, chips, and other damages. To find the best windshield repair in Sapulpa, you can always visit our website or directly get in touch with our expert at 918-610-9967.